Monday, January 29, 2007

The Journey

I have arrived in Prague after a long day's journey. Perhaps of no surprise, I had begun to read the Lord of the Rings at the start of my trip. As I entered into this story again I found myself identifying with the narrative. For example, have you ever recognized the connection between Hepburn, Saskatchewan and Hobbiton, Shire. After a long arduous journey through the night, the hobbits stopped briefly at Bree, while I had a layover in London, the representative English city. I am presently reading about the Council of Elrond, which reminded me of the day long meetings I was a part of. This connection is further reflected in the similarity between the International Baptist Theological Seminary, which is located in a beautiful estate nestled in a wooded valley and Rivendell. Of course none of this is allegorical since I agree with Tolkien: "I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence."

A couple of random observations:

While in London I bought the least expensive burger meal at this Burger King in the Heathrow airport. It cost a whopping 4.40 pounds. This works out to $10.19 Canadian!

In the London airport washroom, the "flush" button is labeled "WAVE ON." But be careful...I literally had to step back after pushing it in order not to get splashed!

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

Hi Doug!

Just had to say how excited I was to read that you and LOTR were traveling together. The books have been my personal travelings pals as well.

It's nice to be able to read some of your thoughts! Way to cave in to the blogging pressure!

-Sabrina

Sheryl said...

You should have eaten at a McDonalds...

I will forever be trying to make connections now between Hepburn and Hobbiton. Thanks Doug...

Anonymous said...

Well Doug, in that London airport, I purchased my three Lord of the Rings books as we had to wait 7.5 hours for our connecting flight.
J.W.

Anonymous said...

Well Doug, in that London airport, I purchased my three Lord of the Rings books as we had to wait 7.5 hours for our connecting flight.
J.W.

Anonymous said...

Re. most expensive burger ever...:
I think you might be getting a better deal than you suppose: a double Quarter-Pounder in Saskatoon goes for 3.19; that works out to about 6.40 per pound, or $25.60 for a 4 pound burger, whereas you only paid $10.19 for your 4 pound burger in London. Not so bad after all, eh?